Why Study Genesis?
Why is NewLife setting aside so much time for an extensive study of the first book of the Bible? Because, Genesis is not just the first book of the Bible and a book of cool stories. It is foundational for our faith and the rest of Scripture. Without it we cannot understand the world as it is or as it was meant to be. It would leave a huge whole in our Christian worldview!
Without Genesis, we cannot fully understand the person, attributes, and work of God as Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer. Genesis reveals the beginning of life on Earth and the nature of our own existence. It addresses the origin of evil, death, God’s people, redemption, and so much more. It provides a historical context for our faith.
Without a clear understanding of the eternal truths presented in this book, we will also fall prey to conflicting ideas about:
- The nature and existence of sin, as well as the Bible’s position on specific sins
- Life and Biology
- The family
- Mankind and Gender
- Government, Politics, and Nations
In addition to all that this, we ought to teach Genesis because:
- It is a part of inspired Scripture. God gave us this book for a reason!
- Christ is found in the very first Chapter and throughout it.
- Many Christians and Churches today to properly study and understand the Old Testament. As a result, our understanding of the New Testament is shallow at best, or potentially wrong on significant parts of our faith!
- It teaches us about ourselves, our history, our beginnings.
- It affirms our value and worth as creations of God.
- We have the opportunity to know God more completely resulting in fuller worship.
- It is a reminder that God is in control and that He is with us and is working everything out according to the counsel of His will.
- We ought to teach the whole counsel of god!
“I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.” —The Apostle Paul to the Ephesian elders. Acts 20:27
Perhaps if pastors and Sunday school teachers spent more time teaching the Lord’s people about the absolute truths of Genesis, we would have less difficulty UN-teaching the errors that abound in our churches. —Henry Morris III D.Min.
Genesis plays into our yeraly theme of momentum. Genesis got the ball rolling. Momentum has been building ever since. God gave us life, His word, the prophets, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the Church, and it will culminate at the end of the age!
We are excited to begin the journey of page 1 of God’s story together as a Church!